Thursday, February 21, 2008

Galactic @ The Cabooze 2/20/2008

Galactic is a five piece funk band from New Orleans, and having been around the NOLA block, they've played with countless musicians, and had who knows how many MC's jump onstage for a freestyle or two. Not too long ago someone had the brilliant idea to make a record with this outstanding live funk band and an array of respected MC's. The result is "From the Corner to the Block", an cool new album featuring my favorite rapper from Jurrasic Five, Chali 2na, on one track and opening act Omegha Watts as well. Chali has a crazy deep voice, really smooth delivery and rhymes that are clever and quickly spit.

I was surprised that he and his younger brother Laidlaw, who he'd brought along on tour, spent a good part of the show on stage with the band, I'd say about half of it. That was a welcome surprise for me, but after the show I heard more than one complaint about not expecting that much hip-hop. That's a legit bone of contention I suppose, as Galactic is normally more about creating lasting deep grooves to funk the funk out to than hard beats and rhymes. In any case it was a fantastic show and got me looking forward to summertime and more sweet sweet music. They played not only "Whole Lotta Love" during the first set, but "Immigrant Song" during the amazing encore.

Chali 2na with his little brother:

Photobucket

the band:

Photobucket

During the encore, Chali 2na came back up with his brother and invited opening act Omega Watts to join the. The result was about 7 dudes onstage taking turns rhyming backed up by some super hot spacefunk.

Here's a video from Bonnaroo 07 of Chali 2na and Galactic:



Damn, and heres some sick footage of the encore of my show, at the Cabooze that someone posted. I must have been literally right next to this guy. This is shot from the exact angle I was at. It's a smokin zepplin jam w Chali.

No comments: