Friday, February 29, 2008

The Hives @ First Ave 2/28

Though The Donnas have been around for quite some time, 10 years to be exact, this was my first time seeing the all girl punk rockers. They put on an enthusiastic show full of heavy guitar licks and energetic vocals. Brianna, having seen the band many times over the years, recommended keeping an eye on the drummer, who was thrashing away beautifully. After their set Bri and I were buying a cool lil Donnas sticker when the bad ass metal guitarist cam by and starting talking to Bri.

Aren't they adorable?


Photobucket



As for the Hives, I am really not too familiar with them so I really didn't know what to expect. The come on stage, the four of them wearing matching black and white suits. Real fancy and classic like. Pele, the lead singer, was absolutely shameless and relentless in his quest for crowd participation and adoration. I have never seen a band so openly in need of, no demanding of cheering, clapping and screaming from its audience. It was hilarious.

He liked to strike simple bargains with the audience, along the lines of "We make noise, and then you clap. We make fucking noise, and then you fucking clap." Pele, the lead singer, was all about climbing anything he could, speakers, stair rails, etc, and he was also fond of theatrical posing and Jaggeresque strutting antics. Later, when his crowd was sufficiently frenzied and awe inspired and vocal, he said things like "I think you're getting it now!" and finally, when by the end of the show, we had won him over, he proclaimed "I wanna make love to every one of you" and I "Wish I could kiss all of you on the lips" and so on. I'm sure we all appreciated the sentiment.


Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

No comments: